Monday, October 22, 2012

Pythagorean Theorem


The Pythagorean Theorem

Objective of the lesson: Students will learn to derive and use the Pythagorean Formula to find the missing sides of a right triangle.

TEKS of the lesson- Geometry 8.C.- The student is expected to derive, extend, and use the Pythagorean Formula.



The Pythagorean Theroem states: In a right triangle, with sides (legs) a and b, and hypotenuse c, then c²=a²+b².
Note: a right triangle is a triangle with one right angle (an angle of 90°). Its hypotenuse is the side opposite the right angle.



We learned an algebraic proof using similar triangles ABC, CBX, and ACX (in the diagram):

Since corresponding parts of similar triangles are proportional, a/x=c/a or a²=cx.
b/(c-x)=c/b or b²=c²-cx or c²=cx+b².
Substituting a² for cx, we get c²=a²+b². Which is what we were trying to prove.


Next we tried some practice problems.
Example 1: If you are given a triangle with legs of length 3 and 4, what is the length of the hypotenuse?
Answer:
 3^2 + 4^2 = x^2
9 + 16 = x^2
25 = x^2
5 = x
The hypotenuse has length 5



I liked this lesson.  I think the Pythagorean theorem is going to be very useful in the future.  I wonder though- does it matter which side I call A and which side I call B?  I think it doesn't, but I just wanted to check.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it matters what you label the sides as long as you know that leg^2 + leg^2 = hypotenuse^2

    ReplyDelete